Table of contents:
Video: Google Settings: Deactivate Location History - How It Works
In Android and Google, this does not mean "deactivate location history", but rather "pause". But the same is meant. You can, of course, withdraw access to the location of individual apps, but this has no effect on the storage in Android. You have to do it differently here.
How to disable location history in Google:
- First open the settings app of your mobile phone.
- There you scroll down to the data protection entry and tap on it.
- Under Advanced you will find the menu item Google location history. Tap on it to go to the Google location settings that apply to the whole Google account and not just your smartphone.
- Now a web page is called up in the window, which shows you the current status of your location history setting. You can also access this website on the computer in the browser to deactivate the location history on Google.
- If the recording is active, you can see this on a blue switch.
- Tap on it to turn off the switch and pause the location history. Before that you have to confirm a security question. It then turns gray and from now on Google will no longer record your location history.
Do you already know our GoogleMaps tips?
TECH.tipp Google Maps
What does Google use location history for?
Google's primary concern with location access is to use it in apps that make suggestions based on your location. For example, if you’re in a store that supports Google Pay to pay, you’ll be notified. If you use Google Now, the service can tell you how long you still need to go home. When you were in a restaurant, Google suddenly asked if you didn't want to rate it.
Some find it super, others fear surveillance. However, this can only be said if third parties have access to it at any time and could evaluate the data. But that's not so far-fetched: In 2018, the U. S. law enforcement agencies forced Google to reveal the location of every Google user within a radius of a robbed bank. There was no other way to assign the images of a bank robbery to specific people. In this way it was possible to determine which Android user with activated location history was nearby at the time in question. This type of search is now common in the United States. In this respect, this supposedly practical feature should be reconsidered.
What name will Google choose for Android 10.0 "Q"?
Is the article helpful?
Yes No Comment
Your life is GIGA.
Help us to improve and please tell us:
Why is the article not helpful for you?
The information is out of date I have not received enough information The information is incorrect I disagree Other Send answer
Thank you, your GIGA team
Your opinion is important to us. Also like to discuss with us in the comments.
Window will close automatically in 6 seconds