Table of contents:
- Tip 2: Deactivate background services with data saving mode
- Tip 3: Reduce email data
- Tip 4: Use the WiFi as often as possible
- Tip 5: Use a different browser
- Tip 6: Install an ad blocker
- Tip 7: Save data volume on YouTube, Spotify, Netflix and Amazon Video
- Tip 8: WhatsApp - restrict automatic media download
- Tip 9: Use offline maps for your vacation
- Tip 10: Only release app updates via WiFi
- Tip 11: Deactivate mobile data use or use flight mode
- Tip 12: tariff with more data volume
Video: Saving Data Volume: Our 12 Best Tips
2023 Author: Sheila Hailey | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 04:29
In Android you can activate a data consumption meter that shows you how much data volume you are using. This gives you a good overview of how much data volume you need each month and you can adjust your mobile phone tariff if necessary. The function also helps to identify which app may be using too much data.
- Opens the " Settings " in Android.
- Tap on " Network & Internet ".
- Selects " Cellular network ".
- Here you can see an overview of your data consumption.
- You can use the " Data warning and limit " below to set the data volume from which a warning is displayed.
- You can also see under “ Data usage by apps ” which apps have used the most data volume.
Tip 2: Deactivate background services with data saving mode
Apps also consume mobile data in the background when you are not actively using it. You can limit the background activities of apps and thus reduce the data consumption to a minimum.
- Opens the " Settings " in Android.
- Tap on " Network & Internet ".
- Typed below on " data-saving mode ".
- Activate data saving mode at the top and tap on " Unrestricted data access " below.
- Here you can set which apps have UNLIMITED access. All apps with the switch deactivated will reduce their data consumption.
Tip 3: Reduce email data
If you receive emails and the attachments are automatically downloaded each time, the data volume can be used up quickly. Disables the automatic download of attachments in the settings of your email app. There may also be a setting that data is only downloaded via WLAN.
- In Gmail, for example, you open the settings and tap on your email address.
- Scroll down and you can determine whether attachments should be downloaded via WiFi or not.
- Other email apps may give you more control over how attachments are handled.
Tip 4: Use the WiFi as often as possible
If you are with friends, family, at work or in a public place where there is WiFi, use it! This saves you a lot of data. However, we recommend that you do not carry out any banking transactions or similar sensitive processes in a public WLAN network, unless you are using a VPN tunnel to your router.
Tip 5: Use a different browser
The "Opera mini" browser has a data saving mode in which it reduces data by up to 90 percent before loading it onto your smartphone. In the Chrome browser, you activate the option to compress the data in the settings under " Data usage ". Graphics are then often displayed in a highly compressed form. However, it should always be sufficient for normal surfing on the Internet.
Download web browser Opera Mini Developer: Opera Price: Free
Download Google Chrome: Safe Browsing Developer: Google LLC Price: Free
Tip 6: Install an ad blocker
Advertisements are displayed everywhere on the Internet. If the websites you visit regularly overdo it with advertising, the data volume can quickly drop to zero. In this case you can install an ad blocker for your browser. Pay attention to the ad blockers whether they are also compatible with your browser.
This ad blocker works in the Yandex browser and "Samsung Internet Mobile Browser":
Download AdGuard Content Blocker Developer: ADGUARD SOFTWARE LIMITED Price: Free
The Brave browser, which I also use, has already integrated its own ad blocker:
Download Brave Mobile Mobile Web Browser: Fast, Secure Developer: Brave Software Price: Free
Tip 7: Save data volume on YouTube, Spotify, Netflix and Amazon Video
Video streaming services consume your data volume very quickly. Here's an example:
- YouTube consumes about 0.9 to 1.8 GB per hour for a video in HD resolution.
- Spotify consumes about 100 MB of music at 256 kbps for one hour.
- With video services like Sky Go, you can expect 1.7 GB (SD) to 3.4 GB (HD) data consumption per hour.
- A Skype call can cost you around 225 MB per hour.
Opens the settings of the apps and checks whether you can deactivate HD streaming or lower the video quality. This saves you a lot of data. And you don't necessarily need a 4K resolution on a small smartphone display.
Alternative: download content beforehand! In Netflix, Spotify, Google Play Music etc. you can download certain content to watch it offline. Do this if you are still connected to the Internet via WiFi. Playlists can also be downloaded from YouTube.
Tip 8: WhatsApp - restrict automatic media download
WhatsApp automatically downloads videos and pictures when you receive new messages. In your settings you can set that this only happens automatically via WLAN, so that your mobile data volume does not suffer as badly, especially with videos.
- In WhatsApp, tap the three dots at the top right and open the settings.
- Tap on “ Data and storage usage ” > “ With mobile data connection ”.
- Remove the check mark from the media types that should not be downloaded automatically with your data volume.
You can also deactivate all media. If you then get videos or pictures sent, you can decide in the chat whether you still want to download them immediately by tapping on the displayed download symbol.
Tip 9: Use offline maps for your vacation
Regardless of whether on vacation or just because: If you are at a certain location, you can download and use offline maps for Google Maps beforehand, even if you don't have internet. This means that the card data does not have to be loaded via your data volume. Other card services also often offer this option.
Tip 10: Only release app updates via WiFi
By default, apps update automatically. Here you should make sure that this only happens via WiFi. This can be configured in the Google Play Store settings. Some apps are 50 to 100 MB in size. With an automatic update, they can eat up your data volume faster than you can watch. So you only download apps via WiFi.
Tip 11: Deactivate mobile data use or use flight mode
If you don't need internet on the go, just turn it off. This ensures that your apps cannot consume any internet data at all - not even in the background.
If you don't want to be called either, activate the flight mode:
- Opens the Android settings.
- You deactivate the mobile data under the WLAN or network settings.
- Alternatively, you can pull down the status bar in Android and tap the icon for mobile data to deactivate it.
Tip 12: tariff with more data volume
If your data volume is not sufficient, it makes sense to look for a different tariff.
Monthly cancelable SIM cards with data volume Amazon
Here a SIM card is recommended, which you can also cancel monthly to remain flexible. We can currently recommend DeutschlandSIM or PremiumSIM, for example. If you still know good tariffs, please write us in the comments.
Is the article helpful?
Yes No (1) Comment
Your life is GIGA.
Help us to improve and please tell us:
Why is the article not helpful for you?
The information is out of date I have not received enough information The information is incorrect I disagree Other Send answer
Thank you, your GIGA team
Your opinion is important to us. Also like to discuss with us in the comments.
Window will close automatically in 6 seconds
Which accessories for the AirPods and AirPods Pro are worth buying? GIGA has looked around, tried and recommends the following products
If someone „ headphones like the Apple AirPods “often means: A similarly shaped model - so without
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10 Plus offer many functions and setting options with which you can get even more out of your smartphone
For many women it is essential - the flat iron. For those who are not blessed by nature with flowing, straight hair, will
Exclusive For GIGA Readers: Subscribe To Our WhatsApp Newsletter And Win A Bluetooth Speaker (FINISHED)
We are giving away a LG PK5 Bluetooth speaker to all subscribers to the GIGA WhatsApp newsletter. How to take part in the raffle: