Table of contents:
- Create the first Instagram story
- Edit photos and videos in the story - with filters, stickers, freehand drawings and writing
- Post, edit and delete Instagram Story
- See the success of your own Instagram story
- Instagram: Call up old stories
- Renaming WhatsApp and Instagram: Awesome or crazy? Vote here
2023 Author: Sheila Hailey | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 04:29
In the actual Instagram feed, it is now almost only possible to find grandly staged, perfectly edited photos. The stories should offer a counterpoint to this note. This is where snapshots are taken that are more personal and can now only be directed to closest friends. Another advantage: While only 10 pictures can be placed in a row in classic posting galleries, you can post as many pictures as you want in your Instagram stories. However, the stories are deleted after 24 hours - they can no longer be accessed by other users.
Entry-level tips for Instagram
A story is always in portrait format (9:16), can consist of photos, video clips or text panels and lasts a maximum of 15 seconds. Each new story automatically follows the previous one. In addition, there are many filters, emojis, GIFs and features that you can use to embellish your story. Even Spotify music can be shared in the story. GIGA gives an overview of all functions and explains how to create your first Instagram story.
Start photo gallery (26 photos)
Create the first Instagram story
- Open the camera
- Camera settings
Edit photos and videos
- All stickers explained
- Post music from Spotify to the story
- Post, edit and delete Instagram Story
- Measure the success of the Instagram story
- Call up old Instagram stories
Create the first Instagram story
After opening the app, there are four ways to open the camera and create an Instagram story:
Open the camera
- Swipe right: If you swipe your finger right on the homescreen, the Instagram story camera opens.
- Photo icon on the top left: You can also click on the small camera that can be found in the top left of the app.
- Click your own story symbol: If you haven't created a story in the last 24 hours, a small blue plus appears next to your own story symbol in the top left. If you click on it, you can create a new story.
- Click profile picture: Instagram stories can not only be created on the Instagram homescreen. If you are on your own profile and have not created a story in the last 24 hours, you will also find the little blue plus next to your own profile picture. If you click on it, the story camera also opens.
Then you either use Instagram to take your photo or choose one from your own gallery. We recommend the latter if your smartphone camera does not reflect selfies. The Instagram camera always mirrors - if you see text on your picture, it will be shown in the image in the mirror image. Before you take a photo, you have the following setting options in the app:
- Settings: Here you can set who can see the story, who can respond, where the story should be saved (gallery or archive) and whether it can be shared by others.
- Switch flash on and off.
- Back to the previous screen
- Trigger: If you click here, the camera is triggered and a picture / video is taken. After the shutter release button has been pressed, a colored circle shows how long the video can be. To zoom, the thumb and index finger are placed on the screen and pulled apart. By the way: You can also zoom during a video recording. Simply hold your finger on the release button and swipe up (Zoom-In) or down (Zoom-Out).
- Apply Face Filters: When photographing faces, you can add different face filters. More on that later.
Upload media from gallery: Instead of taking a new picture, you can also upload older photos or saved media. For media older than 24 hours, the corresponding date appears on the screen, but this can be easily removed.
Recording modes: Different recording modes are available for new pictures and videos.
- Normal: normal photo. If you keep the camera pressed, you record a short video.
- Live: A livestream is started, through which you communicate directly with your followers. They can comment and like, the reactions are shown in the livestream, but can also be hidden by the viewer. A livestream can be up to an hour long.
- Create: Purely text-based stories can be created here.
- Boomerang: A short video clip is recorded, which is then played back forwards and then backwards. Funny effects can be achieved with it.
- Superzoom: A video feature that zooms automatically while recording. Matching filter options can be selected to enhance the effect.
- Hands-free: This mode makes video recording easier. Instead of having to press and hold the record button as in "Normal" mode, a short tap is enough to start the camera.
- Layout: With this new function, collages can be created from various images directly in the Instagram story. The images can either be taken directly or uploaded from the gallery.
- Front or rear camera: Can also be operated during a video recording to switch between the two views in the video.
Edit photos and videos in the story - with filters, stickers, freehand drawings and writing
As soon as you have taken or selected a photo or video, you can enrich it with various options:
- Select filter: If you swipe left or right, various filters are placed over your picture, from which you can choose. Unlike in Instagram postings, however, these cannot be adjusted manually.
- Zoom in and out: You can still change the image section afterwards. Again you zoom with two fingers: if you pull them apart, you will zoom in; if you bring them together, the picture becomes smaller. A color-matching background may appear if the image gets too small.
There are also various options at the top for individualizing your own image even more:
- Select face filter: You can also add a face filter to pictures of faces afterwards. This is animated and creates a special moving image effect for images.
- Branded content or swipe up: This function can be used to mark business partners should it be an advertisement. Verified users or users with 10,000 or more followers also have the option of linking a web link or an IGTV video to their stories.
- Image download: With this button, the finished image or video can be downloaded to your own smartphone without being posted.
Stickers: Here you can select various functions in addition to normal emojis:
- Add hashtag
- Link people
- Add location
- Show current weather
- Show date / time
- Add GIF
- Add music
- Show emotion barometer
- Ask questions
- Create quiz
- start a survey
- Show countdown
- Start chat
- Insert picture in picture
Start call for donations
- Freehand drawing: With different pens you can paint something on your photo. You can change the pen thickness on the left edge of the screen and select the color at the bottom. If you hold down one of the suggested colors, you have a free choice from the entire color range.
- Add font: You can also add text to your picture. You choose the font in the top center, on the top left you decide how the font should be formatted and whether it is highlighted in color. On the left you determine the font size, the color selection works like with the freehand drawing. Important: It is best to leave one or two centimeters of space for text, otherwise it may appear cut off in the story depending on the smartphone.
Instagram Story: Post music from Spotify
You can now post songs and playlists from Spotify directly to your story. Then you can decorate and share the story as usual. We explain step by step how to share songs in your Instagram story.
Post, edit and delete Instagram Story
If the image design corresponds to your ideas, you can post your first story. You have three options:
- Your story: Your created picture or video will be posted in your story. Depending on whether your profile is public or private, the story will be shown to everyone or only to your followers. For your followers, the story also appears in the story icons on their own homescreen at the top.
- Close friends: If you have created a corresponding list of friends, your story can only be addressed to this - distant acquaintances and strangers will not see your story.
- Send to: You can only send your story to certain friends via direct message. The picture will not appear in your story.
Start photo gallery (20 photos)
Once a story has been published, you can no longer edit it. In the case of typing errors or stories sent too quickly, only one thing helps: delete and upload again. However, after publishing, you still have a few options to easily adjust your post.
- Save photo: Story is saved on your own smartphone.
- Share as contribution: Story is adapted to the format of a classic Instagram post and can now also be posted here.
- Mark business partner: If it is a "sponsored post", but you forgot to mark it accordingly, you can do it after posting.
- Copy link: You can now share this link on other platforms or in direct messages.
- Story setting: Here you can adjust who can see and react to the story.
- Add to your own highlights: You can set several story highlights on your profile page. Via the button in your current story you can add the highlights.
See the success of your own Instagram story
Unlike in the feed, no likes can be assigned. Accordingly, it is difficult to understand the success of your own story. In order not to be completely groped in the dark, Instagram lets you see how many people watched your story: If you look at your own active Instagram story and swipe up, the analysis of your story opens. Here you can see how many people have already seen your story and who exactly looked at it.
Someone shows up who shouldn't see your story? Then you can simply remove it by clicking on the X on the right edge of the screen. He will no longer see your following stories. If you want, users can also respond to your story with emojis or short private messages. This can also be used to estimate the success of the story.
Instagram Insights: How to get access
Instagram Story - Further Links:
Create Instagram story highlights and customize cover
Download Instagram story: How it works
Instagram post to your story Create Instagram story screenshot: Who sees the notification?
Mute Instagram stories and posts: Here's how
Instagram: Call up old stories
As I said, stories disappear after 24 hours and can no longer be viewed by other users. You can still look at your own stories afterwards:
- Open your own profile and click on the three lines at the top right (≡).
- Click on "Archive".
- If not already selected, select the “story archive” in the top left.
- Here you can look at all the old stories again.
- If you click on one of the stories, you can share it again in your story or your profile. Or you add them to your highlights.
Stories are never lost to you, regardless of whether you have secured them locally or not. The story archive can only be viewed by yourself.
Renaming WhatsApp and Instagram: Awesome or crazy? Vote here
Is the article helpful?
Yes No Comment
Your life is GIGA.
Help us to improve and please tell us:
Why is the article not helpful for you?
The information is out of date I have not received enough information The information is incorrect I disagree Other Send answer
Thank you, your GIGA team
Your opinion is important to us. Also like to discuss with us in the comments.
Window will close automatically in 6 seconds
No matter if " DSDS ", " good times, bad times " or " Shopping Queen " on the RTL Group's television channels
SATA is a technology for fast data transfer. What exactly the interfaces SATA III, SATA II and SATA I mean, which faster
At internet or WLAN speeds, one often sees the term "MBit / s". But what does that mean and how fast is this information
The collaboration software „ Microsoft Teams “ has now „ Skype for Business “ replaced as successor. With chat
Shortly before the 2018 World Cup, the Panini scrapbook will drive a multitude of football and sticky fans into the madness of collecting. Anyone an individual